As notified by The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), it has reviced the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) process. Now the MNP process will complete in 3-5 days which earlier used to take around 15 days. This process came in effect from today 16th December, 2019.
New Process of Mobile Number Portability
- Generation of Unique Porting Code(UPC), which will be generated only when the subscriber is eligible to port-out his mobile number.
For generating UPC, in message type “PORT” space “Your 10 digit mobile number”, and send the SMS to 1900.
e.g. “PORT 9xxx2xxx69”, and send SMS to 1900
UPC will be generated and SMS will be received on this mobile number.
UPC will be valid for 4 (four) days for all Licensed Service Areas (LSAs) except the LSAs of Jammu & Kashmir, Assam and North East where it will remain valid for 30 days.
- Go to Customer care center of New service provider, on which you want to port the number to, with the following with you:
- UPC message
- KYC Documents
- Passport size photo
Fill up the MNP form and CAF form, and submit them. New SIM card will be issued. You will receive SMS confirming submission of the request form.
- MNP will take place in 3 Days within the same circle or LSA, while 5 Days for numbers of other circle or LSA.
It will take 15 Days for Jammu & Kashmir, Assam and North East States.
There is no change in the porting timelines for the Corporate mobile connections.
MNP takes place as per TRAI instructions in the night time for the ease of users, with a service disruption of 3-4 hours only.
Eligibility conditions for generation of Unique Porting Code (UPC):-
- In the case of Post-Paid mobile connection, the subscriber has cleared ‘Outstanding dues’ towards the existing telecom service provider for the issued bill(s) as per normal billing cycle.
- Activation in the present operator’s network is not less than 90 days, means numbers must have been used for minimum 3 months approx.
- Request for change of ownership of mobile number is not in process.
- There are no pending contractual obligation(s) to be fulfilled by the subscriber as per the exit clause provided in the subscriber agreement.
- The porting of the mobile number is not prohibited by the court of law.
- The mobile number sought to be ported is not sub-judice.
For individual subscribers (non-corporate) mobile numbers – once the UPC is issued, the porting request submitted by the subscriber at Recipient Operator within validity period of UPC will not be rejected.
Whereas,for Corporate mobile numbers- the porting request shall be forwarded to donor operator, only for the purpose of verification of the authorization letter submitted by the corporate entity.
Procedure of cancelling and withdrawal of the request for MNP:
Withdrawal of MNP request can only be made within 24 hours of submission of request form of MNP. To withdraw the request, type “CANCEL 10 digit mobile no.” and send SMS to 1900.